Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Snug as a bug...




Autumn brings cool weather and football. This is a conflict for me, as an avid sports fan and cold-blooded animal. Thankfully Jarom and Lixi have plenty of blankets around the house and are more than happy to let me use them while I watch the games. Speaking of games, Tennessee’s football team seems to be continuously lowering expectations and then failing to meet them. They just faced the not-so-mighty Northern Illinois Huskies and were barely able to eke out a 13-9 win. This week they get to travel to Athens to face an upset UGA team looking to rebound after their first loss. I don’t think it will be pretty.

Watching Reggie Bush return punts for TDs on MNF.
He can do much better than skanky Kardashian.

In around-the-house news, the Winn’s had a water heater flood their apartment for the second time in 3 years. Some of you may recall an incident that occurred a few apartments ago, before I had arrived on the scene. Some faulty wiring caused the heater to continually heat the water until the pressure was so high that the tank safety valve released the water into their kitchen. This time the water heater tank simply cracked, with similar results. Fortunately Jarom was home when it happened and was able to call maintenance and get it taken care of rather quickly. It appears that there will be no damage to any of their things and no serious repairs to be made. I am just grateful that this place has two floors and that I am on the second, where floods are simply not an issue.

The LDS General Conference took place this past weekend, which we all enjoyed. It is nice to listen to all those old men tell their stories. My favorite moment came in a talk given by Elaine Dalton, the Young Women’s president. She told about how her new presidency climbed up to Ensign peak to have their first meeting. In an act that seems supremely young womanish, they tied a yellow flag to a stick and waved it over the Salt Lake Valley. The thought of three older women waving a flag up on that hill just makes me snicker.

Jason showed Jarom this picture.  It made him smile.

The Winn’s will be hosting their first visitors next weekend (Nate and Kenz did spend the night here the first day we moved in, but it doesn’t count as hosting a visitor if they had to unpack their own bed.) Mars and Pidge Hegewald will be coming to see their daughter and take in a UT football game. They (the Winns) are looking forward to a fun weekend.

3 comments:

cameo said...

Yes, I also found it very interesting that they did that on Ensign's Peak. Only women would do that.... gotta love those cheesy talks!

Mama Winn said...

Mitch, you didn't listen carefully! It wasn't just a yellow flag, It was a Peruvian Scarf! Even more Young Womanish! I love watching conference and knowing exactly when all of my children and even my grandsnakes are totally mocking the female speakers!

Mitch said...

Lixi told me that I shouldn't make fun of conference because people would look down on my irreverance, so it makes me happy to have such positive feedback on that remark.